Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that is naturally produced in human body and it is responsible for good night’s sleep, to feel good as well as maintaining weight in norms. Serotonin is usually produced in brain and digestive tract with the help of breakdown of biochemical tryptophan in to 5-HTP or 5- hydroxytryptophan.
Sometimes serotonin produced in the individuals body is not enough and in that case, serotonin supplementation should be followed. The biochemical tryptophan which is an essential amino acid that is not synthesized in the body so it should be supplemented in the form of diet or consuming tryptophan supplements.
Along with serotonin supplementation, including foods that are rich in nutrients help obtain tryptophan through diet. Tryptophan, 5- HTP and other vitamins like folic acid and magnesium increases high levels of serotonin.
Here are few steps to increase serotonin levels in the body-
- Serotonin is considered as happy neurotransmitter that plays an important role in regulating mood swings.
- Serotonin also relieves person from depression, anxiety, sleep deprivation and excessive nervousness.
- Individuals suffering from low serotonin levels experience low self confidence, low self esteem, severe anxiety, mood swings as well as agitation.
- Few people suffer from severe serotonin deficiency and in that case 5- HTP supplementation is necessary.
- Individuals suffering from low serotonin should also in take serotonin rich diet along with medication.
- Consuming more proteins, fruits and vegetables that are rich in tryptophan help increase serotonin levels naturally.
- Serotonin levels can also be increased by in taking dry fruits, nuts, seeds, herbs and legumes.
- 5- HTP supplementation regulates the deficiency of serotoninthrough your diet or with supplements.
The following are the best food sources to follow while low on serotonin in the body-
- Huge essential amino acids are present in proteins and are necessary for serotonin production in the body.
- High protein rich foods like eggs, fish, chicken, red meat and turkey.
- Vegetarians may substitute their protein levels through fermented soy products, legumes and grains are helpful.
- Fruits of some kind contain traces of tryptophan.
- Good source of tryptophan in fruits found in avocados which help in stimulating and regulating serotonin levels.
- Bananas too contain certain level of serotonin which helps in mood regulation, depression and wakefulness.
- Other fruits like strawberries, pine apples and melons are rich in nutrients and increase serotonin levels.
- Green leafy vegetables are excellent sources of amino acids that stimulate serotonin production.
- Soya beans and mushrooms contain adequate levels of tryptophan.
- Adequate amount of tryptophan essential amino acid is restored by regular legume intake.
- Beans and peas lentils are considered as good sources to increase serotonin levels in the body.
- Kidney beans and black beans are also very much necessary to increase serotonin.
Seeds and nuts-
- Nuts like cashews, almonds and pumpkin seeds are highly helpful in regulating neurotransmitter levels.
- Sesame seeds and butter obtained from almonds are excellent sources of serotonin.